Monday, October 4, 2010

L.O.V.E.
It's good here.
I just got back from playing football (american of course) with all the elders who live around Paris. So that was good. We were playing in the rain in a field in the middle of Paris. Eiffel tower, Les Invalides, you could see it all. Unfortunately it ended in a concussion, a busted eyebrow, and an ambulance sooo... that will probably be the last Paris P-day Football. Dad, you would've been proud of some lanky catches.

General Conference is AMAZING as a missionary. When Elder Holland came on the screen at the beginning I felt like the superbowl was starting. I grabbed my seat edges and ate everything up. We were all a bit unhappy however that Paris didn't get their temple this time around. Oh well, next time. Yes mom, conference made me a bit homesick. I had my little family picture out the whole time. It was the first time I've ever watched it without at least one member of the family. I've watched two sessions in english and two in french. Why would I watch it in french you might ask?!

Well, we can start out by saying that I got a little taste of motherhood this weekend. Mama and 4 little African kids came. They are the CUTEST. So obviously it is quite a task to keep children reverent during conference, but luckily I came prepared. I sat in the middle of all of these little angels and distributed paper and markers that I had brought. When they needed a little extra help to get through the meeting I whipped out the Sour Patch Kids. Those were a hit. After an hour I took them all out in the hall for a bathroom break and to talk about conference. One of the girls had written down a list of questions she had about conference including what it means to have a change of heart. She is ten. She is amazing. The day before we had taught them at their house about Lehi's family. That lesson had me on the ground in front of them drawing the family on a boat with 5 sets of cute little african eyes glued to me. That was a dream. So anyway, during conference each child took their turn drawing their own pictures of Lehi and his family. They even labeled which children were wicked and which were righteouss. The 7 year old boy took the Book of Mormon and started copying it down starting at verse one. They are ANGELS. Mama took like 4 pages of notes and was kissin everybody like crazy at the end telling them that she'd see them next Sunday. Yessss.

Jerome also came for a session. I'm pretty sure he'll get baptized. We just randomly ran into him on the train ride home. I lent him my black suit for a few days this week. He needed it for work. How many times in my life am I going to loan a suit to an African man? He gave it back already so no worries :)

I officially LOVE contacting. I talk to everyone. I fancy myself to be pretty dang good at it. I am really seeing the blessings of it too. Our weeks our full of appointments. I just like it. A lot.

Oh I bisoused an african lady this week (the cheek kissing thing). She came out of nowhere. I secretly liked it. It was my first one.

Elder Hann comes about halfway up my tie. It's a match made in heaven. Actually it's kind of hard. I am the senior companion. Not really, but really. I make every phone call and I do all the talking when we are out. He has been here 13 transfers. He told me that he has only gotten 1 number his whole mission. WHAT?! I get a couple numbers most everyday. He said he has 'bad luck.' So basically... I'm learning a ton because I am doing everything, but it is hard sometimes. I miss Elder Riley. I can't ask Elder Hann anything about French because he just doesn't know/care. I speak better French, which is frustrating because it's my second transfer and I'd like a little help sometimes. Generally I have a good attitude about it (though obviously not right now). We are just really different and never have anything to talk about. I try to serve him, but I need to do better still... bah. He cooks though! Thats is okay with me :)

My question going into conference was how to have less pride. President Monson nailed it on the head. Gratitude. (I'm glad you really liked it too mom. I was watching it live at 6 in the evening). So, I've been trying to LIVE gratitude instead of just express and show it.

Haha, tomorrow we have a rendez-vous with a man named Matoto, and then with a man named Toto. Hah :)

Dad, I liked the Pride talk too from priesthood, but it was in French so I didn't get a lot of it. We still have Sunday afternoon session that we are going to watch at the beginning of church next week.

I had some alone time during transfers. I was scared to death. I am going to be SO AWKWARD when I get back. I just didn't know what to do with myself. I was like sweating and confused. I had to go up to Paris by myself to fetch Elder Hann.

I have to go. Love you lots!!!

See you next week :)

Love,
Elder Coburn

No comments:

Post a Comment